Sunday, February 1, 2009

my favorite sketch-practice

< This was my old sketchbook cover.
I like to collage a lot, so I experimented with a kind of drawing collage.. I was on a road trip from California to Boston over several months with tons of down time, so my rules for this practice were to find something interesting (if not many things) in every place I happened to be in and integrate them all together. here are a few from an that old sketch book:



What I like about this way is that I allow myself to acknowledge the little details i'm so drawn to without feeling obligated to put down the entire scene that its in . It was also a good excercise in composition and arranging a picture for me.

2 comments:

  1. I love the freedom of the drawings and the combination of color with black and white. They have such an energy to them

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you connect separate sketched objects into an intertwined sort of sketch story is fascinating. Can you teach me?

    ReplyDelete