Thursday, April 30, 2009

Artist Statement

Artist Statement:
No matter what I am doing or where I am, I am always an observer. I am so compelled by details that I often lose sight of the big picture, which, based on my experience, is generally seen as the main focus in everyday situations. My sketches reflect my personal fascination with the little particulars in my world. My sketchbook is a way of understanding my attraction to them and visually expressing what I experience as their meaningfulness and beauty, whether the subject be a plastic bag hanging on a door knob, a leaf or someone's foot. Within the pages of my sketchbook, the details in my world lose that sense of feeling arbitrary or unimportant. Suddenly they matter. I am fascinated by the idea of selecting items that are often assumed to be mundane and worthy of little contemplation. When I give them the spiritual attention they deserve through the act of sketching, I feel as though the universe is more in balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment